The BC Seniors Games Society is the owner, governing factor & main funding partner for the multi-sport annual 55+ BC Games.
The Games are funded primarily by the BCSGS and the Provincial Government.
The Host Societies are guided by the BC Senior Games Society Event Managers to produce the annual Games. The average participation is 3,500 over the 5 day event, leaving behind a $3,300,000 plus Economic Impact in the business Community. Each Participant must be a member of the BC Seniors Games Society.
The Games were first organized in 1987, with the assistance of the Provincial Government, Sport, Recreation and Development branch, for the older adults of BC, as a direct bearing on their quality of life.
Past and Future Games
The Games are held in various host communities from year-to-year.
Here’s a look at where we’ve been and where we’re going.
- Kelowna — September 10 to 14, 2019
- Kimberley/Cranbrook — September 11 to 15, 2018
- Vernon & Area — September 12 to 16, 2017
- Coquitlam 2016 – 3198 participants
- North Vancouver 2015 – 3397 participants
- Langley 2014 – 3936 participants
- Kamloops 2013 – 3755 participants
- Burnaby 2012 – 3604 participants
- West Kootenay 2011 – 3073 participants
BCSGS Questions Answered
- Participants are those persons who are 55 by December 31, the year of the Games. (Except: Track & Field – which is the 1st day of competition).
- Must be residents of British Columbia.
- Must have their principal residences in the Zone for which they are competing.
- Must be a Member of the BC Seniors Games Society.
- Participants are only permitted to compete in one sport at the Games.
- Many sports have more than one age category. Older Participants may play in a lower category only if there is a vacancy.
- Some events have both recreational and competitive divisions.
- Sport specific rules can be found on the 55+ BC Games website.
Information is collected under the authority of the BC Seniors Games Society (BCSGS) as collector and custodian of this information. The information provided will be used to determine the eligibility to participate in the 55+ BC Games.
The name, home town, and sport of the registered participant will be provided to media outlets and available on the BC Seniors Games Society, 55+ BC Games and Host Society websites. The name, address and image of the registered participants may be used in non-commercial promotion/development of sports by the BCSGS.
The names, addresses and images may be provided to the Premier and the Minister Responsible for Tourism, Arts & Culture.
Registration and Membership Fees can be found on the Registration information page
We are looking for members and volunteers who wish to be actively involved at the Zone level, to assist the Society in producing the 55+ BC Games, for the benefit of the 55+ population of BC, and showcasing this age group as, living an active healthy lifestyle. Contact us if you would like to join us as a volunteer.
There are different levels of sponsorship each with its own recognition package. Any level of sponsorship will make the Games a success and we encourage you to contact our Marketing Chair for further information or to answer any questions.
You can reach us at info@55plusBCgames.org